Monday, December 3, 2007

My Children Are NOT Autistic!

I am extremely disheartened when I read all of the blogs describing "Autistic Children". Today, it would never cross our minds to say "black person", or "you know, that mexican girl". It is not only politically incorrect, but it is very demeaning to address a person as though their skin color is the most accurate descriptor available. A persons skin color DOES NOT define who they are! Neither does a persons diagnoses. I do not have Autistic children. My children have Autism, and they have Autism on the run! Saying "Autistic Children" is so crass and unenlightened. I can't even begin to put into words how absolutely insulting that phrase is to many families who have children whose diagnoses are on the Autism Spectrum.

1 comment:

WilStophel said...

I see everyone as equal, plants animals and dirt. nobody is better than anyone anymore. i used to hold Paige above all but hey, we know what happened. i always hated when people made fun of kids with autism. but i was too scared to do anything about it. sometimes i'd tell them to shutup or something but it wasnt much in the overall look of things.